Learn how to survive divorce by keeping your focus off of the things perceived as lost. Our expert guest blogger suggests to keep a more positive train of thought and suggests uplifting topics where you can focus.
Forget What You Have Lost
After your divorce, you can either dwell on what’s missing or you can look to the future. You can either focus on all you’ve had or you can imagine all that you can have. Actually, realize you have gained so much by this “loss” and that is a good thing!
Look over the list below and apply whichever ones fit your particular situation. Tell yourself, “Because of this loss, I have gained…”
1. Renewed confidence, self-respect, dignity
2. A new sense of freedom, acceptance and excitement
3. Broader horizons, no restrictions, no limitations
4. Awesome wonder, optimism, hope
5. Courage, empowerment and fortitude
6. New friends, goals, motivation
7. Pride, appreciation and gratefulness
8. Valuable insights, self-awareness, greater personal knowledge
When you look at things this way, it becomes easier to let go of the past and embrace the future with a new enthusiasm. Be brave enough to leave behind what seems familiar and comforting and venture into unexplored territories.
Just find one positive thing that inspires you from your experience and you’ll notice tons of other things will be close behind. Pretty soon you won’t remember how things were before, because you’re living your new life and growing accustomed to the new you.
What positive thoughts helped you learn how to survive divorce?